Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas in Korea

Exhausted.  So happy.  Brief Christmas post for the record (though I'm too tired for proper sentence structure).

Christmas eve. Woke up in Seoul after a relaxing night at the spa. Last minute Christmas shopping, then hopped on the bus back to Gwangju.  Friends came over for dinner, cookie baking and decorating, South African wine, and a Christmas movie. Fell asleep among a bunch of Saffas.

Christmas morning.  Woke up among friends, warmed up my mom's traditional Christmas breakfast - cranberry surprise bread! Baked a quiche... which did not turn out like I expected, but there's always next time. Had a lovely breakfast and coffee with lovely people, then exchanged gifts before heading off to the church.  Christmas service (in Korean, with English translation).  Christmas Cantata (also in Korean, but music is music and so beautiful).  English Ministry lunch and gift exchange. Tacky sweater party.  Most incredible pumpkin pie I've (or you've) ever made went over spectacularly well!  I don't know if I'll ever make another kind of pie... it was that good.  Pumpkin Cranberry Pecan pie.  I die.  Click the link.  You'll thank me later.  Yum yum yum.  Bailey's and coffee.  Played Boxers or Briefs. Gift exchange.  Singing Christmas carols with incredibly talented musicians.

Was it really only two days?  Last night seems so long ago already... I've been running on hyper-drive and now I'm about to crash.

But before I go, I want to share...

Christmas brings the most joy to those for whom Christ is Savior.  I am a billion miles from home and haven't even skyped with my family yet, but I am so full of the Christmas Spirit, I can hardly contain it.  I did keep myself crazy-busy with plans and festivities and baking and friends, and that has helped with feelings of homesickness, I'm sure, but beyond that, I love Christmas because it's when my Christ is celebrated.  Jesus was 'pleased as man with men to dwell,' and He didn't have to.  We who have received Salvation by his blood on Good Friday are more heart-warmed by the birth of Christ at Christmas than anyone who has yet to receive that grace can understand.  My soul is right in the peace of God.  So I can celebrate Christmas, even without my incredible family at home, and still find joy.

For unto us, a child is given... 


Merry Christmas, y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment